Forensic Investigation and Research
We want to help people with living under and owning thatched properties be:-
- As safe as possible
- Insured appropriately
- Able to find relevant information
- Able to find specialists to help them.
Risk reduction and sharing the up to date information is part of that process and fire safety is one of those risks which we are asked about regularly.
Join us in the Fight Against Thatch Fires – we all need to work together.
Our Revised Fire Safety for Thatch Leaflet
Further to Burgoynes Investigation of 148 Thatch Fires (Dec 2008 – May 2016) and recent research by the Fire Protection Association (driven by NFU Mutual and Historic England) we are pleased to announce that we have revised our Thatch Fire Safety Leaflet to include these important facts and recommendations. Please read this so that you are informed.
The main updates are:–
• That Ejected Embers and Chimney Fires are the main proven causes of thatch fires and that there is a correlation between woodburners, liners, low chimneys and dry weather conditions.
• Also and importantly, “The research has demonstrated that ‘heat transfer’ is very unlikely to be a prevalent mechanism of thatch ignition”.
So, do not just line a chimney (per Building Regulations) and think all fire risks are reduced.
We must concentrate on maintaining chimney and liner integrity as well as reducing :-
- Burning Brands being emitted from chimneys eg from incorrect burning of materials and use of woodburners.
- Chimney fires
Please read our recent articles, pages on the website and, importantly, our updated Fire Safety for Thatch leaflet. It includes relevant and specific advice on dealing with these proven causes as our aim is to reduce the number of thatch fires.
We all know that a thatch fire is notoriously tricky to extinguish and can have a high cost both in fighting fire and loss of property.
Join us in the Fight Against Thatch Fires
Please, let us all work together and spread the word to our clients, friends, followers, associates, members, colleagues, suppliers and anyone we know who has an interest in thatch.
Our guidance is goodwill, not mandatory and based on years of passionate experience and knowledge. Recent research has backed up our beliefs with serious and extensive work by recognised specialists.
Understand, Reduce the Risks and increase your Peace of Mind
Further specialist guidance is soon to be released and, as soon as it is, we will be letting you all know so that we continue to do the best work in the fight against thatch fires.
Thatch Directory Categories
Thatch Directory Categories – Phase I
Our site has one clear list of categories so it is easy to find help. We are looking for proven services to join us. References are required.
· Building Surveyors
· Chimney & Flue Specialists
· Chimney Sweeps
· Electrical Engineers
· Fire Safety Products & Supplies
· Garden Buildings
· Health and Safety
· Master Thatchers
· Preservation & Pest Control
· Quantity Surveyors
· Reed & Straw Dealers
· Solid Fuel & Heating Supplies
· Specialist Builders
· Specialist Building Materials
· Structural Surveyors
· Thatched Hospitality
· Thatching Supplies
· Timber Framed Builders
· Tools & Equipment Hire
· Tree Surgeons