Are you interested in a Thatched Cottage for Sale in Lincolnshire?
The Thatch Advice Centre receives many different requests for help and one about a thatched cottage for sale in Lincolnshire was a bit different. We felt that a call for help from someone whose mother is on her own following the loss of her husband and struggling to sell her lovely thatched cottage (which she is finding too big for her to manage) was too important to ignore.
We asked Clare (who contacted us) to give us some more information for this article, to see if we can help find a purchaser. Also, as we have a lot of contacts, we made some phone calls too!
“This lovely thatched property has been in my family for nearly 100 years, but since the death of my father the house and garden are just too big for mum on her own and it is time for a new family to make it their home.
It is therefore on the market for the fantastic value price of £415,000.
5-7 Ingham Road, Stow, Lincoln, LN1 2DG.
The house (parts of which date back to the 17th century) includes:
- 4 bedrooms (3 very large)
- Family kitchen
- 2 large reception rooms/lounges
- Large family room
- Utility room
- Family bathroom
- Additional WC
- Gas central heating
- Partly double glazed.
Re-thatched in 2009 in Water Reed with a Wheat Straw ridge all covered with galvanised ¾” 20g wire mesh and fireboards beneath.
- Established garden with mature fruit trees, productive fruit and vegetable gardens with shrubs and flowering borders, mixed hedging.
- 2 greenhouses and 2 sheds.
- Double garage with roof storage and large outbuildings – previously a retail shop and workshops.
Click on the pictures below to enlarge
Great points about this property
A beautiful yet functional mix of old ship-timber beams in the original ‘3-up, 3-down’ rooms and the more modern extension at the rear mean that this non-listed property has huge potential as a family home with historical features.
The outbuildings could be converted into a business/ retail space/ airbnb/ workshops/ gym/ ‘granny flat’
Whilst the land could continue to be a productive food source – or feature a tennis court, a pool, a grassed play area, a smallholding… Use your imagination.
Location, schools and facilities
- The house is at the centre of the village which features historic Stow Minster, the award-winning Cross Keys pub and restaurant and a true sense of rural community.
- If you choose to get involved there are annual village barbecues on the green, family bike rides, carol-singing round the village Christmas tree, garden produce/ honey/eggs sold at gates, a local agricultural & horticultural show and a ploughing match.
- There are miles of public footpaths, bridleways and tracks around the area for walking, cycling and horse riding.
- This property is only 10 miles to the cathedral city of Lincoln, 25 miles to Newark railway station on the East Coast mainline (1 hr 15 mins to London) and 70 minutes’ drive to the seaside over the Wolds.
- There is a primary school in the next village and a wide choice of secondary schools and sixth form education within 10 miles along with Lincoln and Bishop Grosseteste Universities.
- Also there is a twice weekly ‘pop-up’ Post Office in the church, a car mechanic, a bicycle shop and a children’s playpark in Stow and a Co-Op and Premier Shop in the next village. A regular bus service runs to Lincoln and Gainsborough.
Other useful information
The local development plan is currently under review but it is unlikely that the village will lose its rural character, surrounded by farmland.
Want to know more? Book a viewing?
We will keep our fingers crossed that our assistance helps Clare’s mother to sell her lovely Lincolnshire thatched cottage and, of course, will keep you posted.
If you have any thatch related queries we have a great page on Buying Thatch.
Or get in touch, we are always happy to help with enquiries e.g. roof inspections, maintenance and indicative costs, insurance or surveys.